Friday, September 4, 2009

Social Jumpstart

There was a recent article on social media, suggesting that most people were "searching" for connection with others and self; finding their voice. I believe it's a fair assessment and is underscored by the popularity of the Facebook "quiz"; what are you doing? what do you want to do? who do you love? where should you be? how tall are you? who is the ghost sleeping in your bedroom?

I took that last quiz to find that I'm sharing my room with a poor little girl that lived in an orphanage and was poisoned. Now, exactly what did I think I was going to get from that quiz and isn't that a quite morbid response? Why couldn't I have a beautiful, winged angel, gently watching over me as I slept?

There is something for everyone on "Quiz Monster". And, let's not forget "Living Social". Our need to share every little thing with everyone. Oh, I'm guilty. It's a jumpstart to friendship. I can meet new people and don't have to waste time filling them in on all the little chit chat that goes on with those initial meetings. They know my favorite music, cereals, and what I bought last. I've shared; now we can move on and get down to more important things...all those things that I don't post or take a quiz to reveal.

I can't figure out if I'm lazy or impatient. But, I am enjoying the connections with people from my life that I may never have seen or spoken to again; and the new faces that have fastly become connected.

It's keeping the village in tact. I just wonder what happens when the computer crashes????? I think the phone still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment