Friday, September 4, 2009

Elke is Pregnant

At the beginning of the year, a orange stray cat showed up on my back deck. I usually keep some cat food out there for the strays and neighborhood cats who are left out on their own on a cold winter's day. Initially I thought Elke to be a male; she had that "lion look". I started to call her "LK" as in Lion King. As the weeks passed she became more and more trusting and I was able to determine that she was indeed a she; hence, I feminized her moniker and she became "Elke".

Elke was a mess. She had a number of open wounds and her teeth needed a good brushing. As time passed she allowed me to tend her wounds and "massage" her gums. On several cold winter nights I took her to the garage and provided a warm bed. She wanted to come into the house. I couldn't take the chance on bringing her in without a vet check up. Claude and Camille couldn't be exposed.

She began to frequent "Chez Harris" and eventually chased off the other cats from the deck. It's been months since I have seen any other cat at the food bowls. I began to leave the garage door cracked to provide her with a safe haven. In the mornings she would be sitting on the stairs leading to the house; ready for a feeding. She became very affectionate while maintaining her feline independence.

The scrawny, injured stray began to gain some weight and heal. She allowed me to comb her and "demanded" attention. I could go out the door and call for her and she would come running from the creek or the golf course. I knew if I brought her in the house, she would be constantly trying to get outside again. I had to respect "her wishes" and designated her as the "outside" pet.

Yesterday, while I was sitting at my kitchen table I glanced out to the backyard. I thought there was a new cat in town. I opened the back door and the "new cat" came running to me; it was Elke. Perhaps I just haven't been paying attention, but she was looking so well; her coat is full and shining and she's put on some weight.

Later in the day, I returned from grocery shopping and again was surprised to see her looking so robust. And then it hit me - she's pregnant! I scooped her up and began to examine her belly; she was purring loudly and "schmoozing" my chin. I suspect she is half way through the pregnancy with a due date in early October. That will mean I will have kittens through the fall and into the winter. Kittens ready to be Christmas presents.

And so I have decided that I will move the car outside the garage to create an environment for her to nest and have the babies; a quiet place with space, a warm bedding and my third liter box to maintain. The vet visit is now imminent.

My sister suspects that Iwill not be able to part with the kittens; and if she has a small litter that will be true. But, the appropriate thing for me to do is find homes for the babies. So my FB friends, please consider gifting an adorable kitten this holiday season. If for no other reason, to save me from becoming the "crazy cat lady on the hill."

Meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment