Friday, September 4, 2009

Picking up where we left off

I was fortuate to spend some time with some old, dear friends this weekend. It is such a comfort to know that friendship can survive through the years without the necessity of daily contact (with even several years in between).

Maybe we start yawing earlier in the evening than we used to; maybe we can't drink as much wine as we used to; our memory may not be as sharp as it used to be, but even if the memory evades us, the feelings remain. We've been through many life changing events together and we may have, perhaps, missed a few in between, but the empathy, respect and console remain.

Someone once told me that I "collect people". At first I thought that the comment was negative and then she continued to tell me that it was an admirable trait. I don't collect people to show them off, I collect people to share with; to laugh with; to cry with; and, to be with. People that share my many moods and eclectic tastes. Bringing different people together and facilitating conversation and sharing is my joy.

I'm known to introduce the same people to each other several times during the course of the evening. I get lost in the excitement of sharing the people around me. Introducing people to people and people to events and people to ideas and people to music and people to art and people to food and people to wine. . . . . . .and pets and places and books and me. . . it is an adventure that brightens my heart, my soul and my mind.

I believe in creating memories and lasting friendships. Social media is a great help to keeping in touch. My sister tells me just pick up the phone; there are not enough hours in the day to speak to everyone as frequently as I can share, and you can share, through Facebook.

It indeed keeps us connected so we may pick up where we left off when we do get some moments together; the circle of friends light the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment