Friday, September 4, 2009

Let's Drink to Health

This whole health care issue. . .'tis a conumdrum. Conumdrum. Once I was hospitalized with some seemingly random systoms. For five days I was poked, prodded and explored. The diagnosis: "it is a conumdrum". I was better and we refer to the episode as "the alien visit". No explanation and no further "sightings".

I have indeed become the reluctant patient. I don't believe physcians, consciously trap us in the health care system; but, they have created a living purgoratory for many of us through perceived dependency on medications. Blood pressure, cholestrol, acid reflux, blood sugar, weight control, thyroid function, liver and kidney function. . .the vicious cycle of treating changes in our bodies under the guise of "preventive" care thereby exposing us to the side effects of the medications and potential adverse reactions to the combinations of medicines.Someone close to me keeps telling me that "doctors will kill you." I agree that many of our "ailments" are a result of lifestyle and evironment.

We can control lifestyle; but, at what expense? And how do we control enviroment? And what of genetics? Many of our health issues are considered heriditary.

I believe a huge issue in the spectrum of health care is that we have now resorted to self-diagnois and self medication. Access to medical information on the Internet and comericals hawking drugs for this condition and for that condition has to some degree created the breakdown and costly condition of health care in general. How many people do you know that see a commercial for Deterol and believe they have bladder problems; go to the doctor's office and demand the medication and cite all of the symptoms. . .the doctor prescribes. And the cycle begins; side effects happen; or, fixing one problem creates another.I am convinced that some us are just healthier than others. Some of us will feel better longer and some of us will see our body slow down. I think I'm going to start listening to my body more; consult my physcian less and releive some of the burden on the already crumbling health care system. There is truth is diet and excersie in moderation. And, when you get older you may not be able to run the marathon; but you can walk to the corner.

Accepting what God gave you and living a faithful life will see you through. Let's drink to health!

No comments:

Post a Comment