Friday, September 4, 2009

Rescue the Day

There are days where I find the day is "fighting back" at me. You know that kind of day? The days that nothing seems to go as planned and the alternatives are not to your liking. You begin swatting at the inconveniences of the day as though they were gnats. Before you know it, you're feeling unsettled and uncentered. Tired. That's when I take a deep breath and go to "the safe place".

In my mind's eye I find myself in a calming environment for as long as it takes me to brush off the day's angst. My place is in the woods by a river. The river let's off it's frustration as it flows heavily over the rocks. It is a sound of accomplishment.

The air is crisp and clean; with a coolness that envigorates.I am sitting in a small cottage; in an oversized chaise; looking out upon the woods through a huge open window. From this vantage point I can see glimpses of the river through the trees surrounding the cottage. The trees are competing for sunlight and you can hear the gentle russeling of the leaves as they move into position. Occasionaly, rays of sunlight pass through and reveal the floor of the wooded area; thick with moss. Above the sounds of the river you can hear the birds twittering.I can smell the fragrant wildflowers mixed with the comfort of a wood burning fire crackling before me. I have Mozart playing my soundtrack for the escape. This oversized chaise envelops me and my cats nestle on my lap with a soothing purr. I can smell the gentle aroma of berries combined with the fresh, clean scent of dirt coming from my glass of red wine. Just the smell can intoxicate.

Surrounding me are many stacks of books and the walls are full of art. I have all I need in this "safe place". I can stay as long as I need to recenter myself. In this place I feel a gentle embrace around me and know I am loved. My spirit returns to a bright glow and I am at peace.

The day has been rescued.

No comments:

Post a Comment