Thursday, September 17, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T


Respect: to consider or treat with deference or dutiful regard; to show consideration for; avoid intruding upon or interfering with; consideration; courteous regard, courteous expressions of regard; to show polite regard.

Yes, I know, everyone is weighing in on the issue of civility, rudeness and outbursts. Well I just need to get it off my chest.

It's not just the actions of the 3 Ws (Wilson, Williams and West) that have exposed an undercurrent of rudeness as acceptable under the guise of freedom of speech. I am listening and seeing disregard and contempt everyday from the shoppers in a retail environment to our children in schools.

We were taught to "speak our mind"; don't accept 'no' for an answer; you are entitled to your opinion; be yourself. I contend that some of "our selves" aren't very nice.

What happened to learning to share, cooperating and team work? Did the lessons of common courtesies fall by the wayside in our efforts to prepare our children for the "real world"? How did that happen?

Respect has been on the decline since the issue of "entitlement" moved in. The generations that are now parents and grandparents have allowed their youth to believe that the world is indeed their oyster and all you need do is claim it. I believe there are few lessons that were skipped here. Did we miss the class on negotiating a win-win solutions? Did we miss the class that describes there are two sides to each issue? What about the lessons of diversity and tolerance and just plain "please and thank you"?

It is not the fault of the kids that they lack respect. What of the teen who disrupts her class, yells at the teacher and suffers no consequence? When the school calls the parent about unacceptable behavior shouldn't there be a reprisal? No, the teen gets to go on a weekend outing. Doesn't that condone the behavior? Why do we expect the behavior to change when there are no consequences for unacceptable acts?

Recently I was dining at the lake. Three boys were on the shore, throwing rocks at a family of ducks. There was some muted mumblings of disapproval, but no one did anything to stop it. I couldn't help myself, being somewhat of a "Mommie Dearest." I went down to the boys and suggested they stop before one of the ducks were injured. No response nor acknowledgment of my presence. In a more stern voice I asked where their parents were. They rolled they eyes at me and tossed another rock. I then threatened to call Security if they did not stop; two of the boys ran off. The third boy rolled his eyes and tossed yet another rock. I know that if I attempted to pull him away I would be arrested. He knew that too. I repeated that I was going to get Security and began to walk off. He threw yet another rock, this time hitting the duck. He ran off, laughing. I suspect we will see him in court one day. I am just not sure if he will be the defendant or the attorney.

I am saddened by the lack of respect we see in our youth. I am saddened that as a nation we believe the loudest voice will have the victory. I am saddened that people believe the "freedom of speech" does not require sensitivity, compassion and some editing. I am saddened that we have become so intolerant.

There are so many wonderful, respectful and intellectual people out there. Why are we allowing the rudeness to grow? I do not have the answers for peaceful coexistence, but I do know it begins with RESPECT.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I am without shame, I think I might have been inclined to yell out asking if anyone belonged to the boys. Humiliation can be a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete