Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dance like no one is watching

". . .and the visions of sugar plums danced in her head." ". . .she is a dancing queen. . ." "Dance, dance, dance. .." "I could have danced all night. . ."

I've got dance on my brain today; dirty dancing; ballet dancing; contemporary dancing; jazz dancing; ballroom dancing; Dancing with the Stars; You think you can dance; dance with me; and rest in peace, Patrick Swayze.

Dancing and watching dance is one of the great joys of my life. I am lucky to live in a community that embraces the art of dance. Or is it that I'm part of a microcosm in the community that embraces dance? We have more dance than we can financially support. That is sad. But,what is wonderful is that the options are endless for those talented few that can perform and lift your spirit and mind into new dimensions; as they lift each other with awe-inspiring grace.

There is a new company, South Carolina Contemporary Dance Company, making their debut this week. The talent in this company comes from the Columbia City Ballet, USC School of Dance and Carolina Ballet. I'm excited to see the best of the best perform together.

It is wonderful to provide these talented artists - the dancers, musicians, choreographers, costumers and set and lighting professionals - with yet another venue to display their wares.

I have to admit that I have a bias to the artists of the Columbia City Ballet. I've spent nearly ten years on their board and have been intricately involved with the ups and downs of the company's finances; comings and goings of dancers; and, the occasional public indiscretion. William Starrett, the Artistic Director is a true artist. With that designation comes all the monikers associated with the title: artiste, creative, stubborn, ego driven, disciplined, moody and protective of his creations and the young people he directs. Columbia City Ballet is his heart and soul. He wants dance to be better and he wants the community to be exposed to and love dance as much as he does. I am grateful to William and his commitment and vision to the dance.

I am also grateful to Miriam and Radenko and Susan and John and the entire dance community to continue to provide this community with options to expose quality and creative productions. I wish the competition for dollars did not create a divide between the companies. I do, however, believe that competition drives the quality of the performances; creates diversity; and challenges the dancers themselves.

Over the years I have been lucky to watch dance performances all over the world: New York, London, Paris, Vienna, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco and Columbia, South Carolina. I have seen ballet companies, contemporary companies, Irish step dancing companies, South American companies, Asian companies and the occasional amateur recital. Each performance warms my heart, feeds my soul and sends me to "a happy place." In my mind's eye I am moving and lifting and soaring with them. And when I go home, I dance because no one is watching. . .

Break a leg South Carolina Contemporary Dance Company. Columbia, get ready for another fabulous season of dance - Columbia City Ballet opens in October with Dracula. And as for me, I've got my dancing shoes on and tickets in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment