Friday, September 4, 2009

My name is Coralee and I am a Liberal

Last week I got into a debate over my self-proclaimed liberalism. As is par with this conversation, the discussion centered around taxes. "Why," he asked, "should I have to pay more taxes to support government programs to support people who won't support themselves?" I countered against the word "won't". There are so many cases of "can't", not won't". He replied, "that's why I believe in philanthropy." Well good for him. The trickle down theory of economics hasn't seemed to work effectively.

I have a philanthropic strategy and freely contribute to local causes that I believe are effectively serving their clients. I pay property taxes to support the school district. I vote for individuals that I beleive will be effective stewards of the public monies. I volunteer my time and talent when I can not donate "treasure." I believe we are our "brother's keepers."

That does not mean that I do not spend money on myself. It does not mean that I do not believe that hard work and intelligence should not be rewarded. It does mean that if I am able to work and smart enough to achieve greater monetary reward that I am obligated to share with those who can not. Those who will not are on their own.

It is not the liberal platform that should be questioned; it is the execution of the platform that has faultered. "Give a man a fish and you feed his hunger; teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." But what of those who can not help themselves? The children. The elderly. The infirmed.

Should parenthood be left only to the wealthy? Should a long life be achieved only by the wealthy? Does illness afflict only the wealthy?

While in college I was once told by a sociology professor that I had the "luxury" of being a liberal; of lacking predjudice; of volunteerism. It is by the grace of God that I can help; that I can speak out; that I can provide for myself and contribute to others.

No, I will not apologize for my liberalism. I will not cease to fight for fairness and equality. I will not stop demanding accountibility from my elected officials. I will not stop asking the hard questions.I will listen to the beliefs, wants and needs of those around me. And I will be a voice of reason to those who claim philanthropy yet deny the needs of public programs.

If the conservative belief is that philantrophy is the answer, then I say, "show me the money."

No comments:

Post a Comment