Friday, September 4, 2009

A Lesson From Monet

Has anyone ever suggested that you "get new material"? You have the same jokes, same stories, same political views, same style? Well isn't that a little bit like telling you not to be YOU?

I suggest that "the same old material" is actually NEW; it's evolved and morphed into where you are in your life. It's been morphed by your experiences and the resulting emotions of those experiences. People have to listen closely to find the "new material"; it is there. It may be the same old suit, but, it is accessorized differently; it has more depth. It's like singing an old song with a new arrangement; the words are the same, but, it is sung to a different beat.

A number of years ago I was fortuate to see an exhibition of "Monet in the 20th Century". In the exhibit were many pieces never before displayed and they were huge, wall size creations. I overhead someone say, "did he never tire of painting those same lilies and the gardens?." I spun around because I had questioned that before seeing this exhibit. I had to share my new realization. In the 20th century, Monet was losing his eye sight; the once clear and bright world he saw was becoming darkened and blurred. He saw the gardens differently and the paintings reflected that change. There was less light on the gardens and the flowers blurred into each other. It was new material.

Over I lifetime we have the opportunity to refine and re-define ourselves. The words, values and beliefs may not change, but the delivery presents differently. I learned a valuable lesson from Claude Monet.

No comments:

Post a Comment