Monday, September 14, 2009

Manic Monday - State of the Union

I'm worrying about finances; I'm worrying about the widening divide of public opinion on healthcare and financial reform; I'm worrying about the impact of partisanship on the character of the American voice; I am worried about the casualties that will result from the "wars", both domestic and foreign.

In the last week I've heard of a dozen cases of people losing work, losing their homes and in some cases just losing hope. I believe adversity will strengthen our resolve and motivate us to fight back. However, I'm not sure whom or what we will be fighting. I fear we have begun fighting each other.

The American middle class is in survival mode. In our efforts to survive and maintain, I see tolerance going out the window; in some case civility. We no longer have the "luxury" to leisurely weigh the vast amounts of information available to us and develop an opinion. Our patience has been tried and we are shouting at each other - just chose a side! Each side is fueled by passion. Passion fueled by fears.

We are in triage mode. What do "I" need to address first? Is it putting food on the table? Keeping the utilities connected? Affording the trip to the doctor? Depleting my retirement funds? Is the glass half full or half empty?

I am faithful and believe we can rise above the petty squabbles that ensue - economic stress is challenging. We are facing life changing decisions. Change produces uncertainty. Uncertainty produces fear. Fear creates stress and anger. And the cycle perpetuates itself.

I hear the fears of people who believe they are losing their freedoms to government intervention. And yes, I understand how uncomfortable it is to lose control. But don't you think someone has to be in charge? Don't we need to collectively migrate to a greener pasture? We can't fix this alone.

We have chosen our leadership. We voted for people that we believe will find solutions, not create problems.

I'm tired of fighting for what I believe. I'm tired of partisanship. We need to address the ISSUES and focus on the TASKS; we need to leave the PERSONALITIES and egos at the door.

There is a process to fixing what ails us. Let's support the process and accept the outcomes.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment