Wednesday, October 21, 2009

eRead this. . .

It is an irony that I am a "power-user" of the Internet and a blogger to boot, yet am leery of the advent of eBook Readers. No, I am not happy about them wanting to take away my leather bindings, dust covers, dog ears and margins for my notes, question marks and exclamation points. Even while reading a novel, I have pen or highlighter in hand. Books are my passion. I have books falling out of every nook and cranny in my home. What do I do with an eBook? Do I buy an eBook shelf?

Is there a place for me to highlight beautiful and profound quotes? How long and how much can I store on this device? Can I go back twenty years later and re-read some of the passages or the whole book if I want? Can I "virtually dog-ear" a page so I can find that quote again easily? What do I do for reference material? Am I just suppose to remember everything I've read?

I am concerned about my eye sight. Can my eyes handle the glare and small type of the tiny screen to make my way through, let's say, War and Peace? What phrase will replace "that book was a real page turner." If I'm not turning the page, what am I doing? Scrolling?

Wait a minute I just want to finish this next screen and then I'll be right with you. That just doesn't sound right. Then again I never thought I'd use the phrase, "I'll friend you." And poking someone was not acceptable.

The tactile experience of reading a book is part of the enjoyment; touching the book, holding the book and if you're lucky, smelling the leather binding. And what of the non-reader? How on earth will they decorate their homes without the look and feel of books? What will happen to the "coffee table book" industry? Surely they are not suggesting I replace my art books with some digital copy?

I have an iPod. I have downloaded some of my most favorite music on that device. It is great. I use it maybe twice a week. I'll use it when I take a walk outdoors or I'll use it when I know I am going to have a long wait at an appointment. Otherwise, I listen to my music on my audio system at home or in the car. At night, I have a CD player in my room to gently lull me to sleep.

I have a PDA. I browse the Internet and check email when I'm away from home. If I have access to a desk top or a laptop, I'm going to use it, not the PDA. Again with the squinting.

The eReader, I suppose, will be convenient for travel and taking your book to the office or the park. But, if I'm home, I want to touch the book and mark up the margins. That's the key: it is a convenience, not a replacement.

I have a small collection of antique books. Some of them are over 150 years old. They smell different, they feel different. There is nothing like reading Shakespeare from a "smelly, old book." It transports you. What will the "me" in 150 years have to give them that same feeling? I know it won't be an eReader. It will be a 300 year old book.

2 comments:

  1. There is something about holding the book and sneaking away with my book light that I know I can never get with a keyboard and a screen. Lovely thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete