Wednesday, October 7, 2009

De-constructing the Grocery Shopping List

Growing up, Mom and Dad were always feeding an "army" of people; and, so there were numerous trips to the grocery store. Mom would say that we need this and that and Dad would say write a list. Mom would say "you need to go to the grocery store" and Dad would say "where's the list". When we got to the grocery store we would all say "who has the list?"

The "list": the plan; the map. Over the years I have discovered that there is an art to constructing the most efficient shopping list. Not only do you need to know what you need from the store, but you need to know where you can find it in the store. Hence, you need to know which store you are going to before preparing the list.

I have tried keeping a list of items as I run out. That list is posted on the fridge and has no particular order. I've tried shopping with that random list, but I have found that I invariably forget something and I wander the store aimlessly with no route to follow. And then I buy things I already have (I now have five bottles of barbecue sauce) or really don't need (cookies and ice cream).

My mission is to create a list with items in the order of the store aisles themselves. I take the random list from the fridge and begin transferring those items onto "the list" as I maintain a mental image of the store's layout.

In the upper left corner of the page I note the produce I need. Off to the right I jot down the bakery items. They moved the bakery on me a couple years back and I keep forgetting to start with those items. And, oh yes, the cheeses are in the front of the store by the deli.

The bottom left corner is reserved for soft drinks, water and snacks. The upper right corner lists the dairy products and juices. Meats follow produce and then pantyhose. While in the soup aisle I remember that the organic broths are now in the new organic section back over by the produce and bakery. I'll go back that way after I make a full swing through the store.

Then we need condiments and marinades and pickles and olives followed by toilet paper and plastic storage bags. I don't need cereal today so I will skip that aisle. I'm in the pasta section before I realize I need to go back to the cereal aisle to get coffee and tea and biscotti.

I know the store stopped carrying the cranberry preserves that I like, but just in case I make my way up that aisle just to stare blankly at the shelves and ask myself once again: why did they stop carrying those preserves?

As I turn the aisle filled with cleaning solutions I note that they have moved things around and rearranged the shelving. It's now a double wide aisle full of seasonal products and the cleaning solutions are now divided into two separate "half-aisles". Do I go left? Do I go right? Why is Halloween candy in the same section as Clorox and Glade Air Freshener? Hmmm, candy. . .

Straight ahead I see the milk; back on track. Milk, yogurt, sour cream, orange juice, cheese. . .Wait, didn't I just get cheese? I need more. Eggs, cream cheese, margarine. (Oh, don't forget to circle back and pick up the Lipitor prescription.)

Then I realize - I haven't checked the list. I stand there with the list in hand and eye my cart and the list. Not bad, so far so good. It looks like I missed petite diced tomatoes; I'll circle back. I return the list to the side pocket of my purse and find the coupons. Of course, I have coupons. Now I realize that I've selected the wrong brands and need to retrace my steps to get the discounts. On the way back to the condiment aisle I see a bin of videos - 2 for $10 - let's have a look.

I get in line for check out. Unload my groceries, hand the cashier my shopper discount card and the coupons. I swipe my debit card and I'm on my way home.

As I unload the groceries I realize that I forgot the Lipitor, the coffee, the petite diced tomatoes and I have four packages of cheese.

I start a new list on the fridge. It is back to the drawing board for me; I am still in search of the most efficient grocery shopping list. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. what a fantastic article. i have been using this really neat program to help me make my grocery shopping list. It is this cool program called cook'n. all i do is tell it what recipes i want for the week and it generates a shopping list and gives me the cost. anyway i thought you would like the idea.

    ReplyDelete