Friday, November 13, 2009

Parakevidekatriaphobia Reversed

"Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent. Staying at home is recommended." Excerpt from a 1993 study published in the British Medical Journal.

Yes, indeed, it is Friday, the 13th; the high holy day of the superstitious. Voltaire said that, "superstition is to religion what astrology is to astronomy, the mad daughter of a wise mother." In which case, I believe I am the "wise daughter or a mad mother."

I grew up on West 13th Avenue. My "lucky numbers", 5 and 8, total 13. There are thirteen letters to my name. I worked for thirteen years at my first (1) and third (3) jobs. And, as for Fridays, I have always received money (read: paid) on Fridays which was followed by two days off. Hey, I think Friday, the 13th, is my lucky day.

According to folklorists, written evidence of the superstition did not appear until the 19th century. However, the origins appear to be passed on from early Christianity; the Friday crucifixion of Christ and the thirteen diners at the Last Supper.

There is also the ancient myth rooted in Norse mythology. Author, Charles Panati explained:


". . .a tale in Norse mythology. Friday is named for Frigga, the free-spirited goddess of love and fertility. When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch. It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil - a gathering of thirteen - and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week. For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was knows as the "witches" sabbath."


The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, has estimated that 17 to 21 million people in the United States suffer from fear of Friday the 13th. Many people are so paralyzed by their fear that they remain in bed throughout the day. It is believed that $800-$900 million is lost in business on this day.

This is the third of three Friday the 13th's we have had this year. There is only one on next year's calendar. Just to play it safe, I think I'll stay at home tonight and avoid the craziness. Perhaps I'll watch a movie - or maybe I will go out; the film 2012, about the end of the world, opens tonight. Hmmm, coincidence?

4 comments:

  1. I've always felt like Friday the 13th has an energy all it's own that could make weird, random, otherwise impossible things happen. The world feels just a little bit "skewed."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I didn't know about Friday the 13th, but I'll say this: all my superstitions are based on facts. For example, I believe that the digit 8 is my unlucky number as all my bad things happened on a day/month/year/hour/age that include the digit 8. I don't know what to do about it except pray to God to protect me from evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duta. .for some reason, we Americans have become obsessed with Friday the 13th. ..perhaps stemming from the same types of experiences you have had with the number "8". ..there are no coincidences in life. ..I belive that to be so

    ReplyDelete
  4. 17 to 21 Million suffer from fear of Friday the 13th .. Wow, I hope that's covered in the new health care bill :)
    I'm actually more concerned about Thursday the 12th since it's the day before Friday the 13th..I just kninda lay awake and worry about what might happen the next day..I believe thats called Docephobia in Spanish..

    ReplyDelete