Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Back" to the Future

The other day I watched one of the kids in the neighborhood walking slowly toward his house. On his back was one of the biggest back packs I have ever seen. He wore it low and looked as though he was in deep concentration to make his way up the hill. One foot in front of the other; keeping himself balanced. God Bless Him! I wonder if there were any books in the bag?

As of late, my lower back has been aching. My back ache and his back pack got me thinking - the phrase "back breaking work" was completely literal. We may not put "our shoulders to the grindstone and our nose to the wheel (and try to get anything accomplished in that position)", but our lifestyles push our spines to the limit.

As a youngster, had I know what back aches I would have in the future, I would have protested loudly about the amount of homework I was given. I remember walking home from school carrying textbook upon textbook; barely able to keep my arms around them. I would try carrying them on my hip and switch sides every so often; the switch usually ended up with the books falling to the ground.

We didn't have laptops or the Internet to do our research for term papers. So, it was off to the library and more books to schlep home. Each class had it's own notebook full of notes and handouts. Only the "nerds" were smart enough to carry briefcases or book bags in the day. I don't even remember using a book bag until graduate school.

In high school, one of my dear friends, a studious person, had to have hernia surgery. I remember the jocks taunted him about how he ended up with a hernia; "carrying too many books were ya." Actually, that is probably what caused it.

I have always complained that my days as a business traveler (read: pack mule) wrecked my back. Garment bags, purse, briefcase, presentation portfolio - all tucked and lugged across the country. In retrospect, I realize the damage began long, long ago.

Get your kids the back packs on wheels; and make sure the handles are long enough for them to pull them standing straight. I'm on a new mission to save the "backs" of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment