Monday, November 2, 2009

Hurry up and Wait

My sister had to go for a stress test today. The process takes four to six hours; most of the time is spent sitting and waiting for the next phase of the procedure. So, I sit in the very small waiting area with others who wait.

The room is small; so small that I believe it has been designed to encourage you to wait elsewhere. There is a television and stacks of magazines, brochures and pamphlets. As is common in most public spaces these days, there are large dispensers of hand sanitizers on each of the end tables.

I brought a book to read and a notebook to jot down my random thoughts. I am concentrating on my "waiting paraphernalia" and avoiding eye contact. Waiting room conversations are often laced with entirely "too much information"; particularly in a medical facility.

I see others with their heads buried into their books or staring intently at the television monitor. I think to myself, "good, it will be quiet time." Despite my obvious signs of "do not disturb", one of the waiting women attempts to get my attention. It starts with, "that is such a lovely wrap you are wearing." I note that the woman next to me bows her head more closely to her book. "Thank you," I respond as I continue writing. She is talking to me from across the room; it is only a matter of time before she invites them all into a communal discussion. The fact that I appear busy with "something" does not distract from her mission to "share".

It is not that I dislike chatting and meeting people; it is that I dislike chatting in any sort of medical facility. The conversations will always get down to what ailment they are being treated for, what medications they are taking and eventually lead to bodily functions. Too much information!

There are laws that provide strict guidelines to protect individuals' medical privacy. Doctors and hospital must provide privacy policies and structure their physical locations to allow for "private" check-in and consultation. They do this and then this woman in the waiting room announces her mother's medical condition, medications and whether or not she had a good bowel movement this morning. So much for mother's privacy.

I attempt to move the conversation away from "medicine" and her mother. We talk about food. Food, perhaps, was not my best choice. I am now told of the effects certain vegetables have on her and her children (and apparently the family dog as well). I excuse myself to go into the restroom. It's nice and quiet in there, but I know I can't stay in there too long. I know she will ask me if I'm alright! She does anyway. "I'm fine," I respond quietly.

The nurse has come out to tell us that they are running almost an hour and a half behind schedule. My sister can now have some lunch. I grab my purse, my books and her arm and lead her to the door. I hear "are you going to the cafe downstairs?" I have to say "no". I am not in a pleasant mood today. I just can't converse politely. I turn and smile, "No, we're going to go back to the house for awhile."

She looked so disappointed. She starts to tell me that she would go home too but she finally got her husband to agree to pick up the kids and she wants him to do that and then maybe he will think about taking something out for dinner and feeding the dog and helping the kids with their homework, and....BREATHE LADY!

Bless her heart. Now that I'm back at the house for a while, I'm starting to feel guilty. I promise, when I get back to the waiting room, I'll engage in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment